Fysh loves being asked questions, maybe cause he loves talking so much? Who knows. But ever since he was little, or at least since he started talking, he’s always wanted me to ask him questions and he often asks random ones back. His favourites are “did you have a good sleep?”, “so, how was your day?”, “Have you had a good day?” and “What was your favourite part of today” but they can start from the morning and be asked at any point of the day in any order. Today at 8am he asked me how my day was going. Um… I think my brain is still asleep I’ll get back to you after my coffee :P
I know most people just ask the usual “how was your day” and then get frustrated with the go-to shoulder shrug that is followed up by “I don’t know” or “it was okay”. So I’ve listed a few things we like to ask each other after I read a list a few years back. I swear they keep me sane just by adding some variety, and it keeps things fun and talkative (not that he really needs help in that department. Verbal Diarrhoea of note this child, maybe he’ll be a radio presenter :P
- What made you smile today?
- Did anyone do anything silly to make you laugh?
- What did you do that was creative?
- What was the best thing that happened today?
- Did you help anyone today?
- What is happening in your favourite show at the moment?
- Did you learn something you didn’t understand?
- Who inspired you today?
- What was your least favorite part of the day?
- What is something you heard that surprised you?
- What is something you saw that made you think?
- Who did you play with today?
- Tell me something you know today that you didn’t know yesterday.
- What is something that challenged you?
- How were you brave today?
- Tell us your top two things from the day that you are grateful for (before you may be excused from the dinner table).
- What are you looking forward to tomorrow?
- What are you reading?
- What was the hardest rule to follow today?
- Teach me something I don’t know.
- If you could change one thing about your day, what would it be?
- Did you learn any new words today?
You don’t have to ask them all in one sitting, but if you’re a family that sit around a table or even if you’re just cooking together, it’s amazing what conversations just one of these questions can spark :)